Tuesday, February 24, 2009

yucky II: the deuce

I have funny emotions with food. Food situations have a way of tugging at my heartstrings, maybe because it's such a personal craft and tied up with motherhood and providing and society and all that, and yet we've made it into this gov't regulated industry chugging along on conveyer belts, and all that. Well, Jill told you about the catering. I can't decide if it tugs at my heartstrings or not, but given enough information, here's how:

DECISION PROCEDURE
  • If they did not know their catering food was bad, that is sad; it tugs at my heartstrings.
  • If they knew their food was bad, yet continued to cater it, they are jerks; it does not tug at my heartstrings.
Either way my heartstrings did not get hit by a bullet, because we dodged one. This was supposed to be a slam dunk--but we were on the phone with new people as soon as we got back. It's not that the catering guys weren't pleasant! (See, heartstrings.) But Jill's assessment of the goop on the chicken was spot on. And we really could not identify that one dessert without documentation.

So we are looking for new people to make nicer food out of our grands and grands of dollars.

1 comment:

sarawithnoh said...

That sounds really really gross. I was talking to my mom about Catered By Design (and what you guys thought of them) and she said that she had a bad experience with them recently too, and that she was surprised since a.) they are so expensive, and b.) she had heard such good things about them. But she said she was not at all impressed; that it wasn't disgusting (but she just ate the vegetarian portion), but it was definitely sub-standard.

It is sad, because caterers are so expensive and the food is one of the more important aspects of a wedding! Good luck finding someone; I'll let you know if I hear anything!