Tuesday, February 17, 2009

interblahg

CHICAGO

Jill and I have been drafting wedding invitations, walking on frozen beaches, crashing bachelorette parties with Mike, and deciding Rock and Roll McDonald's is a much better hangout than Excalibur. Today is our two-year anniversary!

ADRIAN BELEW


Dad and I went to go see King Crimson guitarist Adrian Belew play a set of prog-rock power trio tunes at Sweetwater tonight. Pretty fantastic - small room, killer set, free. His band was a brother/sister team out of Philly, ages 23 and 21. I'm trying hard not to think about that because I ain't need a quarter-life crisis. Need to scrape the rust off my bass chops.

LÖVE

is a Lua-based game framework I've been playing with. It's got physics, particles, sound, all this good stuff. It works by giving you two callbacks per time slice - one where you update all your state and another where you draw everything. That threw me for a minute, because it means there's no good way to script a sequence of events - except wait, we're using Lua, we have coroutines! (These are blessed, fancy functions that can return mid-code, then start from that point next time they're called.) So I built sort of an actor system on this, in which the game entities live in coroutines and they all get stepped once per time slice, and now I think I've got something pretty usable for a post-MZX project.

No comments: